Courtesy of Miss Pauline Newton
Ingredients: Serves 4 – 6
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ¼ lb bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb zucchini or yellow squash, or a mix of the two
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and diced (salt and drain for about 30 minutes to improve browning)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 and ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 ounces Jarlsburg or Emmanthaler cheese, grated
Sauté almonds with bacon in a large skillet until lightly browned; remove from skillet. Add squash, eggplant, and onion, cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Sprinkle in flour; add tomatoes with juice, garlic, salt, pepper and dried or fresh basil.
In a 2-quart casserole dish, layer 1/3 of vegetable mixture, 1/4 of almond bacon mix, and ½ of the grated cheese, repeat twice more but end with a ring of the almond bacon mixture on top.
Bake in a 400-degree oven, uncovered, for 30 – 35 minutes until bubbly throughout.