- 4 cups Corn Bread — crumbled (use a cornbread that is not too sweet)
- 4 cups Whole Wheat bread — cut into 1″ pieces (you can use the ends of the loaves)
- 3–4 cups of broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup toasted unsalted pecans
- 1 lb. ground pork, beef, turkey or soy sausage
- 1 t dried sage or 1 T fresh chopped sage
- 1 t dried basil or 1 T fresh chopped basil
- 1 t dried dill or 1 T fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 t paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sauté onions and sausage until beginning to brown; then add about 1 cup of broth until onions are tender and sausage is cooked. Add 2 more cups of broth and then add cranberries until plump. Add all herbs, spices and salt & pepper.
In the meantime, in a big bowl, mix the bread crumbs with 2/3 cup pecans. Add sausage, onion & broth mixture to bread crumbs & pecans. Mix until well-blended and moist all over; add more broth if needed. Transfer to a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish, place remaining pecans on top and bake for 20–25 minutes until golden brown on top.
As prepared, serves 10–12 as a side dish, or use it as a stuffing for meat, poultry or winter squash or pumpkin.