Would you like to see 40 acres of land in Fairfax County turned into a farm? The county is seeking feedback about what to do with the 40-acre Salona Park. One proposal is to turn it into a farm that would help feed local people in need, offer educational programs and foster farming in Fairfax.
This farm plan would meet and exceed the goals for a community park, and have long-term goals of:
- Educating students and supporting future farmers
- Creating a network of local public and private open space conserved through active farming
- Donating thousands of pounds of fresh produce
- Bringing local produce into schools
- Increasing the wider community’s connection to food and the land generally
CSA sales offering fresh, high-quality produce to hundreds of local families would cover all operating expenses.
If you support this plan, please attend a public comment session Thursday, Oct. 4 at the McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Ave., McLean, VA. You can show up any time from 7-9:30 p.m. and fill out a comment card. For more information, email David Giusti at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-915-2173.
Photo by Lee Cannon